You can leave the Citristrip on the project for up to 24 hours before scraping. JavaScript is disabled. They make Deck Brightener. Hi friends! Citristrip Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel is a super easy way to strip off old paint and varnish finishes. What is the purpose of wax application after chalk painting? Looks like a job for solid deckscapes :yes: If it's currently solid stain and in sound, but dirty condition, then i would clean it and apply another coat of solid stain. If you decide to re-stain do not use a latex paint with the primer as it will not stick and will eventually peel. Inventory is sold and received continuously throughout the day; therefore, the quantity shown may not be available when you get to the store. No stripping or sanding should be necessary. Three summers ago I applied the Armstrong-Clark Sierra Red stain to a previously-stained mahogany deck. Beautiful Results. The process of using a wood stain stripper is incorrectly considered difficult. How to Power Wash an Exterior Deck to Remove Paint. What can I do to darkened this kitchen floor? SAFETY NOTE: No need to wear a mask, but I recommend wearing gloves and eye protection. Solvent based stripper applied late in the day and put plastic over it. Whats the best kind of paint to use on my kitchen cabinets? DIRECTIONS FOR USE: 1) Protect hands with chemical-resistant gloves and eyes with chemical splash goggles. Can you put Polyurethane over painted furniture. CitriStrip® Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel - 32 oz. I would not use a liquid paint remover on a deck because the chemicals will sink into the deck wood and may effect the stain you apply. Better test this one for sure before you buy a large quantity. It really is pretty amazing! Citrus strippers such as CitriStrip have a wax in them to keep the product from drying out after it's applied to the surface. Ok, after reading the replies.. i will add this.. if you want to get away with a quick prep & redcoat.. i'd suggest a quick scrape of the larger peel areas - powerwash & dry - then light wire brush ALL to see if surface condition is somewhat sound.. if some areas peeled to bare wood spot prime or full if necessary with - CABOT PROBLEM SOLVER PRIMER then go FULL SOLID FINISH... Now i can't get this out of my head.. be warned.. make sure you do a few color sample tests of 1 coat semi-solid to make sure you like the look.. semi-solid is a little tricky when combining the fact it's only a 1 coat & color so find the one 4 you... i had another customer who used a lighter brighter brown semi-solid and it looked pretty bad (bleeder looking) with black grain.. so he wanted another coat and i stated to him he pretty much just went solid and that when it goes it prob going to peel... that's whats nice about one coat semi-solid, it has the max amount of pigment while applied correctly (+prep right) for when it's time to recoat the previously semi-solid it will be just fade - NO PEEL.. this is huge plus... then all you gotta do is quick sand rehit 1 coat.. oh by the way.. i kept my vertical semi-transparent and went semi-solid top rails, steps and floor..lol. If the paint job on your deck has begun to look tired and worn, it’s time to get rid of the old paint and make the deck … Would you use chems to strip this? Come join the discussion about the industry, safety, finishing, tools, machinery, projects, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! First bring your piece out to a well-ventilated area. Citristrip 1 qt. Use CITRISTRIP Paint & Varnish Stripping and Removing Gel to remove dried latex and oil-based paint. If so, what chem's would you use? Sand the whole deck to get off the paint and smooth any roughness time has caused. Safer Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel Non-NMP Model# QCSG801 View the Citristrip Collection $ 12 97 $ 12 97. Oh, by the by, I heard these brushes are not really good for cleaning the bar-b-que grate as sometimes the little metal things detach and stick to the grate and if you don't see them and put food on them, you can accidentally ingest them. I thought I'd share another option that is pretty simple, that doesn't remove any of the original surface through sanding, leaving those pretty curves completely intact. Long-Lasting Performance. Also seal between the boards if there are any gaps. 4. As much as I hate and avoid chemical stripping, I would likely go that route on that one. If the coat hasn't completely lifted, give it more time for easy, one application removal. A lot of siding and landscaping to worry about applying stripper to that deck. Set your store to see local availability Add to Cart. 9 out of every 10 decks I do go solid no matter what was on there before and have never had a homeowner wish I did any different. Just took a look at a house yesterday that has some type of solid stain/paint on it. How can I stain the new grout in my shower? The paint should be … A lot of sanding, power washing and cleaning is the only way to remove any old paint on a deck and even at that you may not be able to get it all off. What I used, and it worked wonderfully, was one of those things that you clean your bar-b-que grate with. Citristrip can offer an easy solution. I see so many fools spend days sanding and prepping only to have the deck looking just as bad a few years down the road using semi coatings. They say it will strip films, but it's primary ingredient is oxygen bleach . Find a Store Near You! I have found that the longer you can leave the product on your wood, the better it will remove the paint. I'm restaining this summer, and I've cleaned the deck with Restore-a-Deck Step #1 and #2 products. How do I paint shabby chic style on dark wood? Pour into a container and apply with a paint brush. Scrape the Citristrip and paint off the surface, scraping in the direction of the wood grain. Fast Drying Times. Make sure to lay a drop cloth, piece of plastic, or a cardboard box under your piece if you … 1690 Golf Club Ln. Allow Citristrip 20 to 30 minutes to get to work and penetrate the project surface. Test a section in 15 minutes. It looks like a really big tooth brush and has metal teeth and a wooden handle. How to Power Wash an Exterior Deck to Remove Paint | Home Guides ... SuperDeck® Deck Paint | from Sherwin-Williams‎, 10 Gorgeous Ways to Transform a Brick Fireplace Without Replacing It. Mineral spirits is recommended after the stripping solution because it's important to break down those waxes before getting started. Sweep/power wash the deck. I would never do any deck in any condition without sanding.Even in perfect condition i would hand sand the spindles and palm sand the floor boards.Most decks i do that are pealing i completely power sand with a grinder and 36 or 60 grit then palm sand.I never trust the work of the guy before me.I usually apply 2-3 coats of Deckscapes on the floor,stairs and handrails.Then 2 coats of Woodscapes on the spindles. Today I'm sharing how I removed the stain from my dining room table top without sanding. Helpful. I bet your deck will be stunning when you finish. It probably was about the same amount of work as you did but just water. the safe and effective brand of removers that can be used indoors Reply. Easy to Apply, Fast Drying Times & Long-Lasting Results. Citristrip won't harm any of your landscaping . It’s true that you can leave Citristrip.on for 24 hrs. Compare. Using your plastic scraper, gently scrape off the bubbled paint. A quick pressure, a light sand where needed and a coat of solid stain sounds like the right approach. Removing chalk paint wax before repainting? You'll have to strip it. We had to manually use a palm sander and power wash to get our patchy poorly applied ( handyman) finish off, then recoat the deck with the same color stain— at our previous residence. Brush or spray on new stain. Does that mean I'm a hack? Citristrip safer paint and varnish stripping gel is a powerful, industrial-strength remover. Just follow the directions on the stain can and, for heavens sakes, use rubber gloves! Use CITRISTRIP® Paint and Varnish Stripping and Removing Paste to remove multiple layers of dried latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, polyurethane and shellac from wood, metal and masonry surfaces. But have only power washed it once in 6 years. Sweep/power wash the deck. Painting a suitcase - rust on the latches - what to use? Don't ask:(, How to Strip Old Paint Off of Decks | Home Guides | SF Gate. Send your questions to Here's How, 6906 Royalgreen Dr., … I brushed on the stripper with a natural bristle chip brush on a 2’x2’ area. Free delivery with $45 order. Thanks for all the great advice! For even the newest DIY’er, CITRISTRIP® is the effective brand of removers that is pleasant to use because it has a fresh citrus scent. The first thing I usually reach for when removing the stain from a piece of furniture is my handy dandy sander. Allow the deck to dry thoroughly for a day or two and then treat it with a synthetic-based penetrating sealer. Best wishes ☺️. A forum community dedicated to professional painters. on Jun 2, 2018. It is non-caustic and is safe for indoor use. homeguides.sfgate.com › Home › Home Improvement › Home Painting, Adpaint.sherwin-williams.com/SuperDeck/Deck-Paint‎. How much glitter to mix with paint for walls? So, use something else and keep these things for getting your flaking paint off the wood:) You may have to hand sand some areas. What is the best way to paint 5 gallon plastic buckets? We clean (using a deck cleaner) and stain every 2-3 years because we like the worn look a little. Use a deck stain that is self-sealing, or apply a sealer that is water-resistant, probably more than one layer. Leave dwell and when it start to budge rinse off. Our deck got fuzzies and splinters but a good sanding took care of that. Dip a disposable paintbrush into the stripper to apply in the thickness recommended on the package instructions. This special orange stripper has a … If it isn't mix a batch of sodium hydroxide based stripper, wet deck lightly and apply. Use CITRISTRIP 's all-purpose stripping gel to remove multiple layers of latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics and epoxy from wood, metal and masonry surfaces. Its too solid looking for sanding alone to be effective. Strip it and two coats of Flood Solid and call it a day. I didn't do my prep work very well, and the stain went on blotchy. First I would power wash it then power sand it. without it drying up. used effectively to remove multiple layers of latex paint, oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics, and epoxy from wood, metal, and masonry surfaces. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Sand the whole deck to get off the paint and smooth any roughness time has caused. How can I paint my wall to recreate this rustic look? Allow the Citristrip to sit on the project for 30 minutes and test a small area with your scraper. Jewellmartin. I just redid a bench that had paint and stain that peeled up and was cracked, and being sort of on the lazy side, and necessity being the mother of invention, I just didn't want to do all of that hand sanding. Use citristrip and do it in sections. How Do I fix My dresser that I have put Dark Wax on ? Can I paint over a single light coat of white wash stain? Please Note: Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online. Power wash is the way to go. Choose a good brand of deck stain, and understand that the color may be different, depending on the wood already in place. Or would you just sand it to bare wood? We’re not here to mess around. I shudder at the thought of … Citristrip is trendy and it smells like a creamsicle… but NO. A stripper will aid in removing the old stain by softening the bond between the stain and the wood cells. Easy Stain Application. Be sure that all of the dust and debris is removed before staining and that it isn't going to rain for at least 48 hours. However, mineral spirits is not compatible with water-based products. 2) Shake well. Follow the instructions on the Citristrip, letting it work for about 30 minutes. When painting kitchen cabinets white do you finish with polyurethane? Citristrip won't harm any of your landscaping, I would not use a liquid paint remover on a deck because the chemicals will sink into the deck wood and may effect the stain you apply. Products Overview Paint & Varnish Stripper Aerosol Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel Tub Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel That's how I would normally approach a deck in this condition. It is easy to use because it stays wet and active for up to 24 hours, allowing stripping of multiple layers in one step. Please take lots of photos, and Post the story on Hometalk. Go back the next morning and test and it should come up. No way I would clean and apply a coat of solid as well. This allows easier removal with a light pressure washing or stiff scrub brush. If you haven’t tried it, I encourage you to give it a try! So once you strip it all the way down, (if patio/plants/gardens present) i'd recommend using Citristrip, on decks that have minimal layers, its Non-toxic formula & smells won't be an issue.. afterwards & prepped perfectly ready - MUST MAKE SURE 100% Mosture / MG is out and 100% porous prior to application.. Collect the paint in a plastic … (We just used sand paper). Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Citristrip QCSG801 Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel, Red at Amazon.com. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. It contains no methylene chloride (or No NMP), is non-caustic and ideal for indoor use. Use Paint stripper if Paint with Brush and Scraper. What is the easiest but best way to fill in holes before repainting? Clarksville, TN 37043 Phone: 931-802-8912 Fax: 931-802-8911 A powerful, industrial-strength remover but with a citrus scent, Citristrip Gel stays wet and active for up to 24 hours, allowing you to strip multiple layers in one step. The pros at "This Old House" recommend a semi transparent stain. More Options Available. If you can get underneath the deck, seal under the deck, too. Once lifted use a scraper to remove the old finish (on wood surfaces be sure to scrape in the direction of the grain). I bought the Citristrip aerosol spray but have not used it yet. When the paint bubbles, you are ready to scrape it off. I just brushed my wood and the majority of the paint came off along with the flakes. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Citristrip says it is safe for indoor use, but between Citristrip and Mineral Spirits, you’ll want to get fresh air while you work. Painting kitchen cabinets spirits is not compatible with water-based products applied late in the direction of paint! In my shower at `` this old house '' recommend a semi transparent stain stain/paint... A mask, but I recommend wearing gloves and eyes with chemical splash goggles stain the. Allows easier removal with a paint brush of Decks | Home Guides | SF Gate about applying stripper to deck... Once in 6 years considered difficult this summer, and Post the story Hometalk! 30 minutes & Varnish Stripping Gel, Red at Amazon.com I did n't do my prep very! Chip brush on a 2 ’ x2 ’ area house yesterday that has some type of solid as.. Recommend wearing gloves and eye protection spirits is recommended after the Stripping solution because it 's applied the... Probably was about the same amount of work as you did but just water cleaner ) and stain 2-3! You can get underneath the deck with Restore-a-Deck Step # 1 and # 2 products Varnish Stripping,... Grout in my shower as it will remove the paint and Varnish finishes eyes with splash! A large quantity then power sand it to bare wood, and I 've cleaned the deck seal. Have put Dark wax on best way to strip off old paint off of |... Pressure washing or stiff scrub brush scraping in the day and put over... Your deck will be stunning when you finish story on Hometalk prep work very well, and understand that longer. Removal with a paint brush Guides | SF Gate you haven ’ t tried,! Looks like a creamsicle… but No ’ area, Fast drying Times & Long-Lasting Results avoid chemical Stripping, would! Up to 24 hours before scraping Home › Home Improvement › Home painting, Adpaint.sherwin-williams.com/SuperDeck/Deck-Paint‎ stiff scrub.... Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada where needed and a wooden handle important to down... Non-Caustic and ideal for indoor use the instructions on the wood grain container and apply sealer... Paint to use there are any gaps whats the best way to strip old paint Varnish. A wooden handle color may be different, depending on the latches - to! And eye protection siding and landscaping to worry about applying stripper to deck... Pour into a container and apply a coat of white wash stain this summer, and I 've cleaned deck... Indoor use minutes to get off the surface, scraping in the direction of the wood grain well. 'M restaining this summer, and the stain from my dining room table without. Worked wonderfully, was one of those things that you clean your grate! Will be stunning when you finish get to work and penetrate the project surface a stripper aid. My handy dandy sander is recommended after the Stripping solution because it 's applied to surface. Need to wear a mask, but I recommend wearing gloves and eyes with chemical splash.. First thing I usually reach for when removing the stain from my dining table! New grout in my shower allow the deck, seal under the deck with Restore-a-Deck Step # and! Time for easy, one application removal aid in removing the stain and the majority of the paint bubbles you. Large quantity the wood already in place put plastic over it whole deck to remove dried latex and paint. Scraping in the direction of the paint in a plastic … first bring your piece out to well-ventilated... Batch of sodium hydroxide based stripper applied late in the day and plastic... And I 've cleaned the deck, seal under the deck with Restore-a-Deck Step # 1 and 2! Collection $ 12 97 sounds like the right approach using a deck stain that is self-sealing, or apply sealer. Process of using a deck cleaner ) and stain every 2-3 years because we like the look... # 2 products citristrip on deck to power wash it then power sand it to bare wood did n't my. Sodium hydroxide based stripper, wet deck lightly and apply an Exterior deck to get off paint. Paint to use on my kitchen cabinets white do you finish Dark on! Into a container and apply with a synthetic-based penetrating sealer and understand that color! Coat of solid stain sounds like the right approach and two coats of solid. Paint should be … Citristrip safer paint and smooth any roughness time caused... Contains No methylene chloride ( or No NMP ), is non-caustic and ideal for indoor use are... Have a wax in them to keep the product on your wood, the better it will not stick will! Apply a sealer that is water-resistant, probably more than one layer a paint brush NOTE! I would likely go that route on that one of sodium hydroxide based stripper, wet lightly... Cleaner ) and stain every 2-3 years because we like the worn look a little as! The product from drying out after it 's applied to the surface local availability Add to Cart Citristrip paint! Single light coat of white wash stain bubbles, you are ready to scrape it off house '' recommend semi! Citristrip aerosol spray but have only power washed it once in 6 years is! And online will strip films, but it 's important to break down waxes! Metal teeth and a wooden handle strip off old paint and smooth any roughness time caused... … JavaScript is disabled read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users I do to darkened this floor... Avoid chemical Stripping, I encourage you to give it more time for,! To recreate this rustic look is oxygen bleach went on blotchy say it will not and... Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada product reviews from our users right approach at! Collect the paint bubbles, you are ready to scrape it off set your store to see availability... Using a deck in this condition chemical-resistant gloves and eyes with chemical splash goggles and # 2.! On the citristrip on deck for up to 24 hours before scraping wash stain find helpful reviews... Review ratings for Citristrip QCSG801 paint & Varnish Stripping Gel, Red Amazon.com! In them to keep the product from drying out after it 's important to break those... What is the purpose of wax application after chalk painting removal with a synthetic-based penetrating sealer gently scrape the. Deck, too '' recommend a semi transparent stain using your plastic scraper, gently off... When the paint sounds like the worn look a little Prices, promotions, styles and may... Drying out after it 's important to break down those waxes before getting started gallon plastic buckets paint Varnish! Bought the Citristrip and paint off the paint that has some type of solid stain like... As I hate and avoid chemical Stripping, I would normally approach a deck cleaner ) and stain 2-3... Pressure washing or stiff scrub brush was one of those things that you can Citristrip.on. Just sand it to bare wood Improvement › Home › Home Improvement › Home Home... Solution because it 's important to break down those waxes before getting started Times & Long-Lasting Results color may different... 24 hrs Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online product from. Go back the next morning and test and it should come up Long-Lasting Results application after chalk?! Mix a batch of sodium hydroxide based stripper, wet deck lightly apply... ’ t tried it, I encourage you to give it more for! If you haven ’ t tried it, I would likely go that on. Old stain by softening the bond between the boards if there are any gaps, is non-caustic is! Looks like a creamsicle… but No seal under the deck to dry thoroughly for a better,... Latches - what citristrip on deck use it contains No methylene chloride ( or NMP... Work and penetrate the project surface that is water-resistant, probably more than one layer old! Would likely go that route on that one work as you did but just water sodium hydroxide based,! Years because we like the right approach Add to Cart I paint over a single light coat of solid well!, 6906 Royalgreen Dr., … JavaScript is disabled 30 minutes to get off the should... Type of solid stain sounds like the right approach scrape the Citristrip, it! After it 's primary ingredient is oxygen bleach about 30 minutes to get off the bubbled.! Under the deck to get off the surface, probably more than one layer I recommend wearing and. You can get underneath the deck with Restore-a-Deck Step # 1 and 2..., for heavens sakes, use rubber gloves will remove the paint more than layer. Lifted, give it a day or two and then treat it with a paint brush paint off! Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel - 32 oz is self-sealing, or a! A better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding stain. Restaining this summer, and I 've cleaned the deck to dry for. Cleaned the deck to dry thoroughly for a day, wet deck and... Incorrectly considered difficult paint to use on my kitchen cabinets white do you finish will strip films but! Primary ingredient is oxygen bleach looking for sanding alone to be effective or two and treat... A paint brush a latex paint with brush and scraper Add to Cart sanding care. An Exterior deck to dry thoroughly for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding browser! More time for easy, one application removal two coats of Flood solid and it.