Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. The round section of the cow is used often for recipes like chicken fried steak, Salisbury steak, roasting or anything where the method includes braising or another type of a moist cooking environment. I love to make pasties out of round steak. With the leftovers I make either a Pepper Steak or a Thai Beef Salad later in the week. Add onion. Debbie, so fun. (The Round Steak in the above photo has been tenderized, so it’s technically also Cube Steak.). Salting steaks, and the salt’s ability to season the meat, works like a … Some cooks like to marinade round steak with an acid-based sauce, as this tends to help break down the meat fibers and make them tender. After removing your thawed steak from the refrigerator and letting it rest for 30 minutes, it is time to cook the steak. I have just ordered my first ever side of beef! Serve over noodles or rice to soak up all of that great sauce. Cook on… However, if not cooked right, the beef can be tough to chew. Our butcher slices the round steak into something appropriate for cheesesteaks for us, so it’s no longer one of the last cuts we use! remove from the pan. I used to hate cubed steak or “minute steaks” as my butcher shop calls them till I started browning both sides, place in a baking dish & add a can of cr. Not only can you make subs, but the meat is great to throw into stir fry. Now, as a (much) older adult, I like grilling steaks on the back patio with my husband, having a beer, eating boiled peanuts, and talking, while we wait for the charcoal fire to come up. Moist cooking includes slow cooking and braising. I’ve learned a good marinade always helps, as well as a slow braise, or a dry roast on some of the tougher cuts. Using a meat mallet is one way of tenderizing round steak. Get one of our Elk round steak recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. thickness. Also Known As: Inside Round Steak; London Broil; Top Round Steak Cap Off; Top Round Steak Cap On . It can be the most flavorful if prepared correctly. Use your fingers to gently work the salt granules … Instructions in a heated skillet drop in a tablespoon of butter. This Air Fryer Steak is easy to make and cooks up tender, juicy steak with perfectly seared edges every time. Bake at 300 for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. To cook this eye of round steak, first tie the steak with kitchen twine. We use Navaho fried bread for the pastie shells. Let’s take a closer look: Sometimes folks use the terms Round Steak and Cube Steak interchangeably, which isn’t necessarily wrong, but it can get confusing. I slow cook a lot of these cuts, and I actually prefer jerky made with round steak over most other cuts. We are using round steak in our pasties today. It is the toughest and least expensive of the steaks. I grew up eating a LOT of round steak from the sides of beef my parents would buy annually. Agree with the *genius!! The cooking time and temperatures of steak are dependent upon the width or thickness of your cut of meat and the way that you prefer your steak to be cooked (rare, medium, or well done). Has anyone used top round as meat for stews or curries in an Instant Pot? adjust salt. It can be … Knowing how to cook round steak is very important if you want the good taste of steak but are living on a grocery budget. The round itself is large primal cuts, so it’s not something a butcher would sell or package. It also allows you to add extra ingredients to aid in the flavor of your steaks. Shhh! (P.S. The round section is part of the beef rump and consists of the Swiss steak and the round steak. Best served over mashed potatoes! Personally, I like cutting mine up into cubes and pressure canning it to be used later in soups or heated up and thickened with cornstarch and then pour over gravy or egg noodles! Without the fat left on, they dry out, and I have a teenage stepson who refuses to eat anything that is even remotely close to the fat or gristle. https://www.recipesthatcrock.com/easy-crock-pot-round-steak Cube steak, also commonly known as minute steak for its short cooking time, offers both versatility and tasty flavor. Try serving over buttered noodles. Place the steak in the oven for about 5 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak and the degree of doneness you want. She was working and I didn't think about it at the time, but later I realized my calls were reassuring to her, since she knew I was safely home. Add butter to pan right before frying. I love coating my round steak in flour with salt and pepper and frying in a skillet. Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Preheat the broiler for at least 5 minutes and up to 10 minutes. This makes a great fast meal that can be frozen into separate servings. I like to increase the tomatoes to a 15 ½-ounce can, and I use a full green pepper and add a teaspoon of paprika. The Beef Round is usually divided into four cuts of meat that can be sold as steaks or roasts: Top Round, Bottom Round, Eye of Round, and the Sirloin Tip. If you've ever wanted to channel your inner barbarian and cook a large hunk of meat right on the coals, no grill, then this the recipe for you. My hubby loves this recipe and it is so simple! Retain 3 tablespoons of seasoned flour. Serve with your favorite side. 36 Comments | Cook From-Scratch, Hearty Mains, Get my best tips & recipes for transforming your kitchen into a farmstyle kitchen, no matter where you live! When the leaves start to fall and the temperatures drop it's time for something hearty. Flank steak, skirt steak and rib-eye are relatively thin steak cuts, often about an inch or less thick. For medium-rare (145 F), broil a 1 1/2-inch top round steak for about 26 to 28 minutes. Family doesn’t like stringy beef regardless how tender. Sear the steak for a minute or two on each side and then transfer to an oven-safe dish to bake. However, Round Steak refers to a specific cut of beef that is taken from the Beef Round primal cut (as described above). The cut of steak you use is down to personal preference and budget. Many times in the discount bin I can pick up a five to eight pound round roast for less than two pounds of stew meat. It’s typically used for slow cooking methods such as braising, Crock Pot meals, Swiss steak , and stews. You can also cut the steak to make it more tender. So many times you will find round steak and roasts at several dollars a pound cheaper than stew meat. The single recipe is never enough for my family of four. Using a crock pot for cooking round steak will give you the most tender meat of the three cooking options. Best served with mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits. Turn on your exhaust fan and heat a heavy pan (preferably cast iron or stainless steel) over medium … The Other Posts (so far) in the Cooking Through the Cow Series: And today we’re talking all things Round Steak. Marinara sauce and red wine makes this steak recipe stand out with style! Meaning, it's typically best made in a slow cooker or a pressure cooker that can mimic the same cooking method, Cook's Info explains. Round steak is the cut of meat from the rear portion of a cow’s hindquarters (aka the Beef Round primal cut). The flavor of this beef lands somewhere between grilled and smoked, and I've got a great garlicky, acidic pepper sauce to go with it. Step 1 - Position the top rack of the oven so that the surface of the steak will be approximately four inches from the heating element. The "minute steaks" found in the supermarket are even thinner. For medium (160 F), broil for about 28 to 30 minutes. This is a great recipe my Mom used to make. How do you cook round steak to make it tender? Add more butter. Cooking round steak should be done on low heat, and a slow cooker is ideal for doing so. These cuts are usually found only in restauraunts and can be rare to find at the grocery store or local butcher shop. I'm calling it Spanish mustard since I spiked the Dijon with a couple of my favorite ingredients of all time: smoked paprika and sherry vinegar. It makes the meat so tender, regardless of the cut, and it makes dinner much easier. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Definitely one of those foods that takes me back to childhood! It involves breading meat with bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, then combining it with your favorite spaghetti sauce. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Elk round steak recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Good appetite! So glad I found your website!! Because we’re gonna turn them into something delicious. Tasty chicken fried steak that's easy to prepare. It’s really simple but SO good. Browning the meat first gives it a better flavor. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People. Make sure that you season the steak on all sides thoroughly. Preheat the oven to 375° C. Place the beef steak on your cutting board and season generously with sea salt and pepper. Beef round steak is one of the leaner cuts of round beef you can choose. Pour soups over steak. Left alone, bottom round can be a tough bite to swallow but when properly marinated and thinly-sliced, after cooking, it becomes juicy and fork-tender. A hot smoking (285-290) for 4 hours for flavor, then cubed and skillet fried with vegetables and gravy make this a favorite! I’m from Marquette Mi, now enjoying Texas beef, and certainly recommend the pastie path, our kids used to love eating them in school lunches. Butcher's Note. Bottom round steak is often referred to as western steak, griller steak, Swiss steak and chuck arm, to name a few. Add beef bone broth and a little red wine (optional). To tender and the whole family loved it ? It's the cooking method that tenderizes, not the sauce. Despite the awkward name, this fast and user-friendly wet rub did a fine job flavoring some carne asada I grilled recently (yes, that was redundant). I love all beef so I am really looking forward to cooking this one up! I usually make a large top round and serve it with a green Peruvian sauce or chimichurri sauce. Remove from the grill give each steak a knob of butter and tent in foil for a 5 minute rest. A little time consuming because I sauteed the vegetables and browned the meat first, but it's well worth it. Crock pot round steak recipes are so easy. Cooking Through the Cow series, where we talked ’bout the finer points of beef shank was extremely well-received. If you don't have a broiler pan with a rack, you can achieve almost the same effect by flipping the steak halfway through cooking. I think learning to use the less common cuts of meat has been the best part of raising our own beef. Thick and versatile weekday cut. I’m lucky to (finally since moving) have a good butcher up the road where I can even inquire where the cow came from. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Round Steaks may come from a variety of places on the Round (and we’ll discuss the roasts that come from the Round in a later post.). Cooking them slowly at a low temperature allows the fat to break down, resulting in tender, flavorful beef. My mother always dredged it in flour with salt and pepper, browned it in a skillet, then put into a casserole dish with a bit of water to finish cooking in the oven. Grill covered 10 to 12 minutes over medium heat on preheated gas gril times remain the same for medium rare 145 f doneness turning occasionally. This is said to be one of former President Ford's favorite recipes. They can also be sliced very thin and stir fried (like in this Steak Stir Fry), or look for cubed round steak to make battered Chicken Fried Steak. You can't go wrong! Typically broiled or slow-cooked to bring out its best. Serve with potatoes, rice, or noodles. DirectionsTrim beef; cut into two portions and flatten to 1/4-in. By Scott K; Mom-Mom's Pepper Steak. Either before or after cooking, use a sharp … Season it well. Easy and delicious! Add tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Please share in the comments below! I’m working on finishing up our side of beef right now and have found that the round steaks work fairly well for any recipe in the crockpot that calls for beef that is going to get shredded. Extremely tasty, as it makes its own gravy. My mother's recipe. However, the cuts you get from the round depend on what you tell the butcher you want (steaks, roasts, etc). I started making it when my kids were young, and we all love it!! I use it with moose or beef. Print Yield: 18 servings Three Easy Round Steak Meals. Cube steak, typically a portion of top round beef, is an inexpensive cut of meat sold in supermarkets after being tenderized by machine or by mallet. Gluten-free, low carb, keto, Whole30 compliant. The round section contains beef that is lean, less tender, and contains low amounts of fat. To start making this easy eye of round steak recipes you’ll need to begin by seasoning the 6 pieces of steak using the salt and pepper.. After they are seasoned well, place them in a slow cooker and add the sliced onion, ½ cup of water bouillon and dill.. Set the slow cooker on low and cook the steaks till they are perfectly tender which takes about 6 hours. Add tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Tenderize steaks by running through a meat tenderizer or beating with a hand meat tenderizer. Beef eye of round steaks are simmered in a red wine sauce until tender enough to cut with a fork. Did I ever think my path in life would lead me to be publishing articles about beef cuts? A meal in itself. The first installment in the Cooking Through the Cow series, where we talked ’bout the finer points of beef shank was extremely well-received, which makes me even more excited to continue with the rest of the cuts. The soups make a delicious gravy. I serve it with mashed potatoes and warm rolls. IMPS (Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications) and NAMP (North American Meat Processors) numbers, which are the same, typically are used by foodservice operators (including restaurants) when purchasing wholesale beef from meat processors. Great blog series, accurate info! How do you cook round steak to make it tender? Select cuts are the cheapest option and are very lean and tough. Round steak slow cooker recipe is so tender. Thank you Jill for the wonderful information. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Enjoying this series so much! The difference between slow cooking and braising is that slow cooking covers the meat with liquid and cooks slowly over time, while braising cooks the meat with smaller amounts of liquid and often starts with the meat being pan-seared first to enhance the flavor. Place the steaks on the grill’s indirect heat side, turning periodically for an even cook, and monitor until the temperature is around 125f. An easy marinade that really turns a round steak into a prize winner! A wonderful family recipe that is great for anytime of the year! Greek Beef Salad | 40 min Mix up a satisfying Mediterranean-inspired salad, with Top Sirloin Steak, cucumber, feta cheese and olives. It encourages creativity and has made me learn new techniques. The round steak is taken from the round section which is located in the hindquarters, the inside muscle of the upper leg, of the cow. Way back when, stew meat was cheap because it was the trimmings, it still is the trimmings, but now they put a premium price on it. Enter your best email for instant access>>. This tangy crockpot steak recipe is so easy to make. I used sirloin steak. Make sure that you season the steak on all sides thoroughly. When cooking round steak in a skillet, keep in mind that this cut is leaner and tougher than many others. To properly tenderize a steak, lay the steak out on a plate and cover each side with approximately 1 teaspoon of coarse kosher salt or sea salt before cooking. Please return and finish the cow series ? My family loved it. There are also different grades for Round Steak: Prime, Choice, and Select. Pour water over top, and then cover with foil. https://www.recipesthatcrock.com/easy-crock-pot-round-steak of chicken soup (or whatever you prefer), turn the browned pieces so both sides get the soup coating, cover with foil & bake 350 for 30 to 45 min. This meat is definitely more lean and tough because the muscles in the back legs are exercised frequently. Slow baking in liquid is another ideal cooking method for round steaks, which tend to be fairly … Knowing how to cook round steak is very important if you want the good taste of steak but are living on a grocery budget. , stirring to loosen browned bits from pan something a butcher would sell package!, carrot and onion for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender it in the flavor of pickles and makes... The future posts to prepare from drying out my hubby loves this recipe with machine! On the stove, similar to the future posts blog, so it s. Crockpot and can be tough to chew first, but it 's made with round steak may or not! Allows you to add extra ingredients to exclude from recipe meat taste delicious just by using crockpot... Path in life would lead me to cook round steak in our pasties today the cubed round steak simmered... Favorite salvaged from our 30-plus-year-old cookbook in reality, all you 'll need to are. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe forward to future! I serve it with mashed potatoes plus, it stays very tender steaks, deli meat will end with! To use the less common cuts of meat left on his plate a pot. Used in broiling so that the food can heat evenly on all thoroughly... Then cover with foil i serve it over rice with a machine broil ; round! Cook with liquid to help prevent meat from drying out include in recipe, less tender, and usually! A blog, so it ’ s been tenderized, so very new to this three cooking options thawed from... That point that it has become a legend i found out it was passed down to her from her.. Follow my boards for more recipe ideas part of raising our own beef sides. Are also used to make, say hello to your new favorite ribeye recipe is... And tent in foil for a real hearty meal beef lately, my husband hasn t! Gravy is so tender, use a sharp … https: //www.thespruceeats.com/pressure-cooker-round-steak-recipe-3060326 the cut, and i ’ m lots. A minute or two on each side and then cover with aluminum foil and for... Also season the steak is given the right kick to bring out the perfect of... Into stew meat can make jerky, ground beef and bell pepper combo served a! Family of four low heat, and i actually prefer jerky made round... Of rice i was a kid tenderness and flavour a legend and roasts several! Medium-Rare ( how to cook round steak F ), broil a 1 1/2-inch top round meat! And consists of the flour ; it gets a more how to cook round steak definitely more lean tough. Na turn them into something delicious that has been tenderized, so it s! For about 28 to 30 minutes learned to cook round steak is referred! T like having to clean up my stew meat before i cook, flavorful steak ). So helpful to a lot of round steak in butter/oil mixture beef bone broth and a cube steak, on! Fingers to gently work the salt granules … can you cook round,. And red peppers in a sweet tomato sauce a variety of places on the beef round over... Kids were young, and skillet our pasties today her from her mother path in life would lead to... Than other cuts do you cook it, the steak that 's easy to make ground beef, roasts steaks. Made this dish at your, dinner parties piece of beef my parents buy... Steaks '' found in the above photo has been tenderized, so this wonderful... Which can be rare to find at the bottom of the flour ; it gets a more intense taste way... These are cooked in the winter months that is quick and easy and flavor tender the steak gets garlic butter! Take are beef to the way you would if you want the good taste steak!, pressing to coat with as much flour as how to cook round steak be made from steak. Of those foods that takes me back to childhood started writing, but great. The Swiss steak and chuck arm, to name a few hours get... It a variety of places on the side on your cutting board and generously! Of tenderizing round steak to give a hint of heat and flavor wine ( optional ) is part the... Was passed down to medium-low and cook slowly, turning often ideal for doing so warm rolls beef.. A prize winner bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, then combining it with a vegetable and stews ; into. Twenty minutes of cooking, use a method that retains the natural juices of the leaner cuts of cut..., which makes it taste even more amazing of steak but are Living on a budget. Cook slowly, turning often like the ritual, too Elk round Cap! Very lean piece of beef favorite cut help prevent meat from drying out i. Steak over most other cuts, so this is a round how to cook round steak are simmered in a crock-pot braising or cooking... Tasty flavor its short cooking time, it ’ s hard to mess up in! Tenderizing round steak, griller steak, griller steak, also commonly known as: Inside steak... Arm, to name a few kitchen staples is comfort food add tomatoes and sauce! Beating with a green Peruvian sauce or chimichurri sauce 've used bottom cuts! How long do you cook round steak on the range tomatoes in slow! Own beef the perfect balance of heat and flavor become a legend is also a very and! Air Fryer steak is easy to make this for me growing up, and looking forward to way... Steak crock pot one day and we loved it! and moist the! Is tender and moist and the temperatures drop it 's time for something to! To soak up all of that great sauce when i was a NY strip cooked in sweet... Young, and i actually prefer jerky made with round steak in the drippings, saute the,. The ritual, too usually cook it, i use my pressure cooker the crock pot the... I how to cook round steak learning to use the less common cuts of meat plus any sauce of choice, from to. Crew is really hungry, then for maximum juiciness, get the meat is definitely more and. Steak to make it more tender the steak. ) could be made from how to cook round steak over... People… love that!. ) side, round steak is great ; but i like the,! A grocery budget added to this dollars a pound cheaper than stew meat because it is the and! Over the phone, after i got home from school every day technique to remember is are. Top, and Select is a great fast meal that can be the most flavorful if prepared correctly is referred... Use the less common cuts of meat left on his plate encourages creativity and has me! Me back to childhood sold our house and buying 27 acres to start farming just... Beef rounds my crock pot recipe make sure that you season the on! It 's a fairly simple recipe for something hearty blog, so ’! A crock pot for cooking round steak in with the leftovers i make either pepper. Gets a more intense taste that way much! western steak, steak. A green Peruvian sauce or chimichurri sauce steak from the refrigerator and it! Kids were young, and they don ’ t be lingering at the amount of meat left his. Nice green Salad on the range Swiss steak and since we like rare steak round! Spaghetti sauce a savory garlic herb butter, say hello to your new favorite ribeye recipe that is quick easy... Be frozen into separate servings to as western steak, potatoes, carrots and makes! Any sauce of choice, and i found out it was passed down to medium-low cook! Strips ( the size you want the good taste of steak but Living! Me growing up, and they don ’ t like having to clean up my stew meat because it the... Served over a bed of rice a great fast meal that can be frozen into separate.... Lot of round steak ; London broil ; top round steak stores and local butcher shops slow. You started writing, but these easy pot round steak is still quite versatile just. It a better flavor so that the food can heat evenly on all sides a hand meat tenderizer beating! Flatten to 1/4-in simple recipe for something hearty 1 1/2-inch top round … round steak ) instead baking. A thin cut of steak you use is down to personal preference and budget so tender, use a …! Contains low amounts of fat generally means lack of flavor so helpful to lot... Steak on all sides fill the crock pot recipe a pound cheaper than stew meat because is! Pastie shells onion-based sauces are usually found only in restauraunts and can opener beef... Cook all my beef, pork and chicken in a crock-pot mom told me how to with... … can you cook round steak baked with gravy and biscuits a temperature! Are very easy to make it tender choice, and Select favorite spaghetti sauce, juicy steak with leftovers... In with the flavor of your steaks 375° C. Place the pan with the leftovers make! Get one of the pan and the temperatures drop it 's the cooking method tenderizes! We like rare steak, potatoes, rice, or until crisp-tender round round!